Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Love of Reading


I recently read an article by Karl Rove, about a reading contest he has had the last three years with President Bush. It made me realize that I need to read more. One year Rove read 110 books!! ONE HUNDRED TEN!! I'm feel lucky if I finish three or four in a twelve month period.

There is no way I can read 110 books this year,( or, let's be honest--ANY year!) but I could read 24. I could turn off the TV, spend less time on the Internet, and READ! I love to read. I want to read. I want to expand my mind. I doubt much of it will be fiction, but who knows. The idea will be to read whatever suits my fancy at the time, and keep myself a small notebook of what I read. My goal will be to read 24 books this year, that's two per month. I will also be reading in my Book of Mormon daily, and my Sunday School and Seminary lessons as well.

It's not going to be easy, I'm not kidding myself there. But we DO homeschool; reading aloud to the kids can be part of what I'm reading. I really want to do this.

So I hereby make a proposal; a reading contest of sorts. Anyone want to play? I won't be keeping track or anything, and I won't know if you don't make your goal, but make one! Even if it's only to read the Book of Mormon cover to cover, DO IT!

Let me know if you like, tell me what you are reading.

2 comments:

Live well, Laugh often, Love much ~Maria said...

Reading is not the issue for me...daily scripture reading on the other hand is a personal hurdle. So, I'll join you in your reading...both spiritual and personal enjoyment. :)

Audra M said...

I'm in. I like the goal of 24 books in a year. I used to read closer to 100 when I was in school but that was a long time ago. I've got to renew my homeschool vision so any suggestions on that front are appreciated. Miss you!