Thursday, June 26, 2008

The End of the Chapter


Today is my youngest child's birthday. He is turning 12. In our Faith, he will receive the Priesthood on Sunday and be ordained to the office of Deacon. He is pretty excited for his ordination, checking and double checking with himself on his worthiness to hold the Priesthood of God. He is a good boy. I feel blessed to be his mother.

I'm pretty excited too, but it's also bittersweet. This is my last child to turn 12. My last child to have remarkable milestones. I miss having small ones about.

We have seven children. We've been married 27 years. The chapter on childhood is near the end. I'm looking forward in one sense to the chapter on Grandmothering, but I'm only 47. I am not ready to surrender to the Autumn of my life just yet. I wish my granddaughter lived closer so I could practice more at BEING a grandmother. I'm not really sure how it goes. I mean, I had two grandmothers, one was the *fussy* grandma, and the other was a dream grandma but I'm not them, and I have to find how it all works for myself. I suppose I'll muddle through well enough.





No comments: